Friday, October 23, 2009

Mental Accounting

I spent the Diwali weekend in Chennai. I decided to make the trip only a week in advance, and was frantically searching every damn website for the cheapest fare, but found nothing below 10K return. Out of sheer luck, I stumbled upon Indian Airlines, which was offering a return trip for 5K. I couldn’t believe my eyes and booked my tickets without a second thought. In the rush to save money, I booked my return for Sunday night despite Monday being a holiday. By the time I realized this and wanted to make the change, the fares had gone up by 3K so I let it be.

inThe magnitude of the fare sunk in only when I saw the credit card statement. 5K is not a small amount. Of course, it's hard to deny that the deal was a sweet one "under the circumstances”. So I set about analyzing what the circumstances were. First, how badly did I want to be in Chennai? My mom had gone there a week ago and would be there during Diwali. Most of my extended family lives there, and I had not visited them for more than a year. Neither did I have any alternate plans of celebrating Diwali in Mumbai. So, yes, I wanted to go badly. But I think there is another factor that tipped my decision in favor of going.

I came across the expensive fares first. I saw 10K, thought the airlines were crazy, and decided it was best to spend some money on beer and the weekend in bed. But when I saw a fare half that number, the temptation to save 5K was overpowering. Would I have made the trip had the fare been 5K uniformly across airlines? Or even if the going fare was, say 7K, and I was getting it for 5K. Maybe not. The incentive to save 2K is not as irresistible. To give you an example, I shopped at Pantaloons this weekend. At checkout, the sales guy asked me to enrol into their rewards program. I had to pay Rs. 100 to get into the club, and would be immediately rewarded with a gift voucher for Rs. 200. Without hesitation, I declined the offer.

What's my point? I am trying to analyze the trip financially. Did I spend 5K - a loss, save 5K - profit, or spent 5K to save 5K – net net? (In the second case, I think I definitely saved Rs. 100 by not going for the card.)

3 comments:

  1. The eternal disagreement between an economist and a marketing professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading too much of behavioral economics stuff...messed up my mind completely. Also shows I have a lot of free time:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sid, ref your comment on prev post, You are right..I guess the tangibles let you "do" things faster, better and cheaper while the intangibles make you "feel" faster, better and - oh! - expensive, I guess:)

    ReplyDelete