Friday, October 16, 2009

I mint?

Great ideas sound exactly like foolish ones - until they work that is. That's my favorite Scott Adams' quote.

The thought occurred to me when I saw the ad for imint on the back of a bus. It is a rewards system where you earn points every time you spend, which can be later redeemed for gifts or vouchers. Nothing radical about the concept itself. Credit cards have been doing this for a long time now. But here's what puzzled me. Is there an opportunity for a third-party to make a business out of it?

I dont know for a fact how imint works, but my guess is they have consolidated the rewards system of some retailers and cards so that the customer is able to get points for all transactions in a single "currency". So no more 100 points with ICICI, 250 points with HP, 50 points with Jet with none of them sufficient by themselves to do anything. Now, we get 450 imint points that is good enough to get a mug or something.

I guess imint adds some value thru the economies of scale it gets by consolidating the rewards system. So that explains why ICICI, HP and Air India have hopped on. Their points now make some sense to customers. But how would imint get new customers? For instance, why would HDFC or Jet sign on? Its destructive to both HDFC and ICICI because their customers wont see any difference in using either card, thus resulting in mutual cannibalization. In fact, I wont be surprised if ICICI has an deal that prevents imint from signing on competing financial institutions.

So how can imint grow? Well, by encouraging customers to spend more. That I think, personally, is a friggin stupid model to run a business.

No comments:

Post a Comment