Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Eclipse and myths

Our appetite for blind faith is legendary, and on events such as today's solar eclipse it comes to the fore. Driving on my way in, I heard a few RJs blabbering about our customs and rituals that are not grounded in science. I am no expert in the full suite of actions that ensure protection from the evil forces prevailing during an eclipse. But there is one crucial aspect that we overlook. Which brings me to one of my favorite lines from the Simpsons movie where Bart says "This has been the worst day of my life" and Homer retorts "Worst day of your life, so far"

I think it is important to recognize that there have been no scientific explanations to some religious rites and customs, so far. Dont think the idea is far-fetched. Asbestos and CFCs are good examples. They were developed scientifically, yet we had no idea about their fatal side-effects. Unfortunately, that is the nature of science. New information will continually emerge, often trashing our prevailing knowledge.

My point, simply, is that one must have an open mind when dealing with matters. And that applies to people on both sides of the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment