Monday, February 22, 2010

Tax, Votes and TOI

I religiously hate anything to do with The Times of India, and the group does well to reinforce this feeling by hitting stunning new lows of journalism with amazing frequency, both in print and on TV. I make an exception for the Mumbai Mirror though - it is cheap and sensational and makes no pretense to be anything else. So when I found myself waiting at the reception with time on hand, I noticed with some disappointment that the only newspaper at hand was the TOI. I devoured the Mirror first, and as expected, it contained a healthy dose of daily nonsense. I was still waiting, so I offered a prayer and opened the main paper straight to the editorial page, which I thought that would be the section least prone to rubbish. What a mistake! As I learnt, that is birthplace of trash.

The piece was on income tax rates for women, and going by the title of the section, it appeared a pathetic attempt to simplify economic concepts. The article lauded the effort of the Minister of Child and Women's Development to seek lower income tax rates for women. Apparently, lower tax rates not only empower women but the society at large! What more, it will also encourage more women to start working!! Had it been my own copy, I would have ripped it to shreds. Other than attracting the women vote, which the Minister is clearly after, I dont think lower IT rates for women will make any difference to either women's development or the economy. I mean, if women making enough to pay taxes are considered oppressed, what about the millions that dont even earn enough to afford three square meals a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment